We had a marvelous meeting last night, with lively discussion on a wide range of topics. These included:
- our Centenary Signs project (the signs will be ready next week);
- the age of the buildings on the 1200-block Lakewood Drive (1909 and 1910);
- wallpaper stylings in early heritage homes;
- the large number of “party hats” (or conical roofs) on the Queen Anne houses in Grandview (and how we can encourage their return on buildings that have lost them);
- the development of radio and its impact on Commercial Drive retail;
- early electricifation for homes and businesses; and
- the history of bay and oriel windows (a signature style in Commercial Drive, for example)
We also determined on a series of walking tours for the fall and a lecture series in the winter. More details on these will be forthcoming shortly.
It’s amazing how quickly two hours goes by! Our next meeting is on the 16th of August and, as always, everyone is welcome.