Reno on Ferndale


This house at Ferndale and Semlin has been surrounded by a construction fence for some months, awaiting the start of a basement reno. Joseph Rainey built it in 1909, probably with his sometime partner George Tyson, whose name appears on the permit for the similar blue house on the southeast corner of Ferndale and Semlin, built in 1911. Rainey and Tyson were also responsible for the row of cottages on Pender, numbers 1918 to 1980, in 1908-9 — Michael Kluckner